Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ok, I guess it should not bother me

I have been researching the Android 2 as a robotics platform. Several people have weighed in to say that the only big advantage of Google's Android 2 is that it is essentially free to distribute. However, it has other overhead that has to be overcome. It has to be recompiled per processor, so there is more to sourcing cpus and instruments for it.

I did find in my rolodex that Toradex has a Limestone PDA kit that claims to boot Android 1.6. I have to keep looking. One of my mad scientist ideas is the multiple chips flying closely together to distribute computing projects into manageable chunks. I will keep looking for more. I am not an EE so it is important these solutions be mostly plug and play.

The only "robot" stuff, that I have found before are canned apps from canned boards. I guess I was thinking robot not rc kit. Yeah, I use a lot of rc stuff, but I am not looking to directly control the devices at every turn. They should have increasing levels of autonomy. However, I do have to say that I like that some companies have the same idea that I do. The kit I have found that has the most coverage is the Surveyor SRV-1. It looks interesting enough, but PIC sucks. ;) An interesting couple of "rc toys" on Android movies can be found at robots.net.