Sunday, November 15, 2009

So Much For our Idea

We were thinking that we could roll our Schoolgirl UAVs with some great NEU 1915/1.5Y motors to swing our huge props in a dual-motor configuration. I am sure it would work, but I think we will put it into a pusher configuration.

We kind of knew that the motors were big. I got a pair of these 2.7kW beasts from the guys down at Esprit Model in Palm Bay,FL. They are another great supplier of rc stuff. Esprit Model is good about not advertising that they have hard to find stuff and then them being out of stock. Better to know, than to get an email two weeks later saying that they cleared your payment but that you will not get anything for four weeks.

So I got these beer cans. I mean the motors are as big as beer cans. Not an issue, they look great and have built in fans to help with air flow (heli version). I just think that motors are way too big for our school girls. The kevlar skin that we used is way too dense for the skin application. The carbon fiber equivalent material was great and the other airframe came out pounds lighter. I thought I could pay the piper by just putting down more power. It is not going to work that way. We will have to put it in a pusher configuration.

That is one of the cool things about the school girl. We can run with two under-wing motors, as a puller or a pusher. The changes do not effect the airframe much and really are about moving some power wires in the fuselage. It is really convenient. I hope the balsa kits come out well, it should be a great sport flier.