Monday, December 14, 2009

As If You Thought I Have Not Been Working

So I have been trying to get some interesting pictures of the layup of the Big Baby fuselage. However, the pictures that I do have are not as demonstrative as I would like. I guess I will have to get down there and take some myself. All in all, the mold concept worked and the internal, integral structure also seems to be pretty successful.

Our idea, is to mold a certain amount of internal structure into our composite molds. The interest is to reduce production time of aircraft to the limit of curing and finishing time. More advanced resins could be used in the future. Our experiments are with normal 60 and 90min set air-cure epoxies. We also used a male mold to reduce our total investment. Surface finish is less than important to see for these experiments. They are about the viability of integral structure composite lay ups. I have said that last bit a few times, but I have received several comments about this.

The next step is to relief the wings so that they make a pocket, lift system that will effectively create a similar cross-section to the metal equivalent airframe.